Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe
- 3 large ripe bananas (easily mashable)
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (packed, light or dark)
- 1 teaspoon salt (1/2 a teaspoon if using salted butter)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare pan and preheat oven:
Butter or spray with cooking spray the inside of a 5x9-inch loaf pan. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) with a rack in the middle.
- Purée bananas:
Using a blender, food processor, or a fork, purée the peeled ripe bananas until smooth. You should have 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups of banana purée.
- Mix wet ingredients and sugar:
Place the banana purée into a large mixing bowl. Stir the melted butter. Stir in the brown sugar and salt. Whisk to break up any clumps of brown sugar. Stir in the beaten egg and vanilla extract. Elise Bauer Elise Bauer
- Mix dry ingredients:
In a separate bowl, vigorously whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and allspice. Elise Bauer
- Add the flour mixture to the banana mixture:
Stir until just incorporated, then stir in the chocolate chips. Elise Bauer Elise Bauer
Pour batter into a buttered loaf pan. Place in a 350°F (175°C) oven and bake for 1 hour.
Note that because of the chocolate chips that melt in the bread as it cooks, it's hard to check for doneness using a tester that you insert.
One way to test is to gently push the center top of the chocolate banana bread down with your finger. If it feels relatively firm and bounces back when you release your finger, that's a good sign that it's done. Elise Bauer
- Let cool completely.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan.
Gently remove the loaf from the pan and place on a rack to cool completely.
Slice with a serrated bread knife to serve. Elise Bauer