Huevos a la Mexicana Recipe
- 6 fresh eggs
- 2 green onions, chopped all the way including the green parts
- 1 fresh tomato, peeled and chopped if in season, (2 tomatoes from a can if good fresh tomatoes are not available)
- One canned jalapeño pepper, sliced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Oregano, a sprinkling of fresh if available, dry if not
- Salt, one shake from a salt shaker for every egg used
- Cilantro leaves, fresh and chopped, a couple of Tbsp
- Sauté onions, add tomatoes, oregano, jalapeño:
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on medium high heat. Add the onions and brown them for a minute or two.
Add the chopped tomatoes and let them cook for a few minutes on medium high until they are somewhat cooked and mushy and some of the moisture has evaporated. It's okay if the tomatoes brown a bit.
Add the oregano. Add the jalapeño.
- Add eggs and scramble them into the sauce:
Crack the eggs directly into the pan with the sauce. Add salt. Stir the mixture with a spatula to mix in the sauce and to lightly scramble the eggs.
Remove from heat when the eggs are cooked to the desired consistency.
If you are using a cast iron pan, remove the eggs from the pan and put into a serving bowl. Otherwise the eggs will continue to cook in the heat of the pan.
Sprinkle the eggs with chopped fresh cilantro. Serve with bread or heated tortillas. Serves 2 or 3, depending on how many eggs per person you want.